Based on what I have been listening to over the past couple of hours, this is almost a must have upgrade for original iPad owners and for content creators.
- iTunes Cloud now supports movies (in 1080p)
- There's a new Apple TV supporting 1080p. This was widely anticipated..... Apple TV will be available next week for $99. These announcements provide the underpinning for the new iPad. The Apple TV and iCloud movie support makes the iPad the "center" of the "post PC world."
- As widely expected, the new iPad will sport a retina display. The display will have 3.1 million pixels (2048 X 1536). This is exactly twice the size of the current display which makes app developers happy because Apps will scale easily. This is 264 pixels per inch which is superior to a 1080p display.
- The chip running is an A5X with quad core graphics. Apple claims this will be four times the performance of the current chip driving the iPad2.
- There is an iSight camera sporting a back side 5 megapixel camera (this has been ported from the iPhone 4S which is a wonderful camera). This camera will also capture 1080p video using stabilization software. It appears that the front facing camera will support Apple FaceTime.
- Voice Dictation. (This is not full blown Siri. integration)
- 4G LTE (high speed cellular network support on both AT&T and Verizon networks).
- 10 hours battery life; 9.4 mm/1.4 pounds.
- Available in white and black.
- No price increases: Wi Fi models begin at $499 for 16 Gb with 32 Gig and 64 Gig available for $599 and $699 respectively. Pricing remains the same as the original iPad and iPad2 models.
- If you want 4G it's $629, $729 and $829 and there will be different SKUs for AT&T and Verizon.
- The new iPad will be available March 16 with pre-orders starting today.
- Apple iPad Apps such as Garage Band have been updated. There are interesting new sharing features presumably allowing for sharing via the iCloud. iMovie is also getting additional features which plays well with the 1080p video abilities. Free updates for current App owners.
- New: iPhoto for iPad. A new browsing and editing App. This App supports up to 19 megapixel photos. Available today for $4.99 through the App Store. It is unclear at this point if some, or all, of these enhanced apps will be available for earlier iPad models.
- One, and only one, connector. (No SD slot, mini display support, etc.)
- iPad 2 will still be available at a $100 price drop! $399 for a 16 Gig WiFi model!
If you find this post of interest, please share through Google+, Twitter and Facebook! We welcome your comments below! We welcome your comments (which you can provide via the comment form below).
I currently participate in Associate Programs and certain item links included within this post may tie to these affiliate programs. By using these links, you help support Music Row Tech, I appreciate your support
This commentary is not meant as an endorsement of any company or to provide financial advice. If the author has any financial interest in any company mentioned at the time of this article’s posting, it will be explicitly noted. I welcome feedback and comments.
Music Row Tech will never sell, give away or use your personal information with third parties.
All rights reserved @2012, Music Row Tech (MRT). Any reproduction without the author's consent is prohibited.